A Brief History of Iuka Mississippi
The City of Iuka was named after Chief Iuka, pronounced eye-you-ka, which is actually a contraction for the longer name of Ish-ta-ki-yu-ka-tubbe. Iuka was founded in 1857 and is the county seat of Tishomingo County. The city is located on the site of a Chickasaw Village named for one of the lesser Chiefs, Tishomingo. Chief Tishomingo supposedly died while camping at the springs in Iuka and was buried at the site. Iuka was the site of the Battle of Iuka during the Civil War and later became a famous resort spa due to the mineral springs in Mineral Springs Park. Over the last ten years, the city as well as the county has experienced a rebound in the local economy with over 1,500 new manufacturing jobs and $300 million in private investments. Tishomingo County was named one of the “TOP TEN Communities in the South for Manufacturing” in 2012 and in 2013 was listed as one of the “TOP TEN Rural Locations in the South for Reshored Industry.” Currently, Iuka has about 3000 residents. It has been the proud home of Max Home manufacturing for over 8 years.